This is the final chapter of "The Design Process" by Karl Aspelund.
Feedback It is always a good idea to get feedback from others. In a design team, there are many people who can give feedback and opinion.
"Difficult as it may be to hear someone criticize your work, you must view this as positive."
But it is how you take that feedback that matters the most. Feedback, or constructive criticism is necessary because taking in other's opinions can help to better the design or make visible any problems that you have not overseen. It shouldn't be taken in a personal way. By being a student, having my work critiqued by professors and fellow students is perfect practice in taking in constructive criticism. It can be frustrating when your work has to go through constant change or tweaking but it's all a learning process. I like to ask my friends and family for their opinions as well, because since they are not exactly experts on design so they will give me their raw, honest, un-sugar-coated opinion.
"What exactly is being praised?" Positive feedback, like praise can sometimes be overlooked. Sometimes praise can be the result of something that was accidental, or "happy accidents". However, if what is being complimented about your project is going away from the goal or concept of your design, then changes may be necessary.
Scheduling Reading this section made me realize how important it is to make a schedule. Our final project is coming up and with less than two weeks to prepare, planning out the necessary task to complete the project is crucial. Procrastination is something I am guilty of. Nothing pains me more than wishing I had more time to do a project while knowing that I could have done better.
"...organize your planning si that it is always visible."
Ironically, I was just thinking about my calendar. I have it where I thought I could always see it, next to my mirror. I noticed it the other day and tripped out not only because it was May, but because finals are sooner than I had expected!
What I took the most from this final chapter in The Design Process was "Treat each project as a learning opportunity." I am a student, so I am constantly taking in knowledge and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm taking a mental note, sticking a post-it on my memory wall to never forget it.
I believe that feedback is definitely a good way to better ourselves as designers. We get the opportunity to see things from someone else's perspective which helps us see things in a different view. I'm also really glad we finished the book! :)
ReplyDelete