Thursday, March 31, 2011

Look ALIVE

Note to self: COFFEE before class.

Why I am nonfunctional before the hour of 10am is beyond me, but I will have to make due.

My Concept Development that begins at the beautiful hour of 8am was moved to a new location that was down the hall to wider, less claustrophobic classroom, with more comfortable chairs and a temperature more to the liking.

Today Jimmy asked us to organize ourselves in alphabetical order by our first names.  Being at the beginning of the alphabet, A-G figured it out faster than the rest of the alphabet.  We watched others struggle but why we did nothing to help them is what I do not know, but it was entertaining.  The goal of the exercise was to be aware of the problem and solve it.  It was a group effort that took longer that it should have, but we did it.  The creative concept in caparison can be seen as the same concept because when creating, one must have a concept, approach it, identify the problem, and attempt to solve it however many times it takes to solve it.  When creating I have always found myself stuck, and it was through problem solving that expanded my ideas, and gave me new perception of my original idea.  

"What if...?"  I always like to believe that possibilities are endless, but I think that the "What if..." saying puts a limit to possbility, that is, unless it is followed by a "Si se puede!" Ideas are also formed by "What if..." thoughts.

Concept vs. Thought The dictionary defines a concept as "an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct", and a thought is defined as "an idea or opinion produced by thinking or occurring suddenly in the mind".  To me, a thought is the initial stage of a concept and a concept is a highly developed, planned out thought.  A thought can be as simple as, "I'm hungry" or "What is she wearing?" but a concept goes beyond the initial thought, it builds upon it.  Creations are developed by concepts.

Albert Einstein and his concept of relativity that time slows down when "you" go fast was also brought up in class.  I already knew about Albert Einstein, but this topic seems to always boggle my mind.  Does time exist? Is time linear or is it static?
Time is... everything? I myself do not like to think that I am a slave to time, but it's true.  I have to plan my day out by the hour, sometimes even the minute to fit all that I have to do in one day, which I think is kind of ridiculous.  As a designer I think that it is important to grasp the concept of time management because when working with clients, projects will be done on their time schedule, most of the time.

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Later in the class, Jimmy showed several images.  I learned how to better read an image, because although they do not have words, body language, facial expression, and setting can say a lot about the mood of it.

Having this class at such an early time (for me) isn't such a bad thing because the rest of the day I am left with a lot of food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment