Different perspectives. We are all individual with unique perspectives, as Professor Jimmy Moss said today in our Concept Development class. Not one person has the same point of view or experiences.
Homework: Comic strip on how we got to college.
I'm not going to lie, and I will admit that I waited last minute to do the homework simply because I did not know how I was going to portray my journey to Cal State Los Angeles, and because I got a new puppy, but that's a different story. I had pondered for two days what I wanted to include and by Monday morning at 3a.m. I finished it. When I finished it, I looked at it and remembered everything I had gone through, especially how I wanted to get out of my hometown, Oxnard. Doing the homework reminded me of why I am in college, why I am majoring in Graphic Design.
Experience. I remember realizing one day while taking my transfer classes at a community college that homework, projects, and research papers are not punishments that teachers assign to students. It's all a learning experience and I think that goes a long way, especially when it comes to life. Jimmy had asked us how we approached the homework assignment "Did you welcome it with open arms, or did you reject it, kicking and screaming?" I rejected it at first, but then told myself that there has to be a reason why we are doing this. And I think it was about the experience. I had to find a way into the assignment, I had to find something it that excited me, and I did.
Class Exercise. Jimmy had asked us to sort the class's comic strips from most likeable to least likeable. He gave us only 15 minutes and we able to complete it with the allotted time. What we did was first go through all of them and voted for the 3 we liked the most. Then for the one's that had a tie or no vote at all, we voted between them to give them a rank. After 15 minutes was up, Jimmy asked if anyone disagreed with the order and 5 students did, so he asked them to put it in the order which they liked. It took some debate. And I think we all realized, as Jimmy had said, that there really was no discussion. We just wanted to finish the exercise in the amount of time he had given us. But when the 5 individuals were discussing the order, not everyone agreed. They each had different reasons why they liked so and so's or why this one over that one. They each ranked them in different ways, whether it was clarity or creativity. In the end, they had to agree to disagree on some things, but came up with some changes to the order.
The exercise magnified the topic of individual perspective. Everyone has their own point of view. When working in a large group there will always be debate because people will have different insights and preferences on whatever the task or project may be.
Seth Johnson. The students who attended Graphic Designer, Seth Johnson's talk (on Friday, April 1st) led a discussion of what they thought of the lecture series. Again, everyone had a different perspective, but they provided a lot of insight. I found Seth's "6 Points" to be most helpful. They went as follows:
1.It is your job to tell your clients what they need
2. Make your own work
3. Do a lot with a little
4. Shut up and listen
5. You have an obligation to make things better.
6. Be curious and never be satisfied
No comments:
Post a Comment