Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18

Crystal... not so clear.
It was a lovely, rainy morning today because I made good use of my umbrella.

Class didn't shoot off right away, I think Professor Jimmy did not want to stick with the agenda, so he had us solve a number  sequence. On the chalkboard he wrote:

   1
 10
 11
100
___?

Our task was to come up with a logical, rational explanation that explains the sequence.
We were split up into two teams, men vs. women.  Working with the other gals in my class was interesting.  We all seemed to have come up with the same understanding of the sequence.  In the end, our explanation was better communicated than the men.

The whole point of us doing this was to learn how to communicate in an effective way.  As designers communicating is what we do, so we must learn to master it.  Working with clients or a design team demands open and clear communication.  Just because you understand something, someone else is not going to understand it the same way you do. Thus calls for clarity on your part.  You have to know something in and out, front and back, side to side, from all angles to be able to communicate effectively.  One thing for sure, it's harder than one may think.  It's also frustrating, especially when the other person doesn't get it.

I am constantly trying to improve my own communication skills.  It ties into everything, not just design.  We are beings that rely on and are in constant communication with one another.  What would we do with out it? 

3 comments:

  1. Seriously. I feel that sometimes it is REAL hard to explain something to someone who has NO idea what you're talking about.
    When Jimmy was like " Hold on STOP!" I was like oh my gosh. I was trying to explain the concept but... I got kind of confused. I found myself getting frustrated but I took a deep breath and tried to calmly explain what I was thinking. Luckily I got through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Love your title Cheryl. :) I too had an umbrella in my car but decided not to use it. It seems that the female group did way better and you all agreed on everything and communicated well. Thats important when working in a group and those that are the leaders need to make sure that everyone is on the same page.

    Glad you gals made it through though and showed the class as a whole how its done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astrid, you did a great job and represented the ladies! :)

    Daniel, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete